CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »


Monday, May 19, 2008

Time with God

I read on another blog that the blogger was having trouble reading through the Bible. I do not remember at this time who wrote it. I can understand this as I also had the same trouble the first couple of times I read through it. One of the problems is that we don't understand why some of the things are there. After a couple of times through, things that I didn't understand started to stick. There is a reason for tells us who was the father of who, or how the tabernacle was built. There is nothing in the Bible that does not have a purpose.

One of the ways to make sure you read all the way through is to set a time to read daily and and amount of time you must spend doing so. If you make this a promise to God and ask Him for understand He will open your mind to the wonders in the Bible. Each time I read through the Bible He reveals more, even in those chapters that seem to be drab or boring. After reading take the time to mediate on what you have read, listen to what God is saying. Be still and learn.

I also set aside time to read other Christian books. They can help your growth in the Lord. Many outstanding preachers have written books that are good teaching tools for your walk with the Lord. I set aside at least 30 minutes a day for reading this type of books, and again listening to God for what he wants me to learn.

It also helps to have a time of prayer before and after reading. Before we should be asking for His guidance and for Him to open our minds to His word. Ask Him to clear your mind of distractions. Distractions can cause us to lose interest and not to understand what we are reading. This is a favorite trick of the enemy. But this is a time you set aside for God and our enemy will not like it.

After you have read think God for the time you have spent with Him. It should be a time of joy, so let Him know you enjoy the time with Him. This also makes our enemy mad, he wants our time and will be upset at giving time to God. He will again try to stop your reading. Persist and the attacks will lessen and you will grow in the knowledge of God.

4 comments:

IJ Hanna Lucky said...

Greetings Jim,
this is a great post and I must say that this is a topic most of don't take to heart especially daily.
thanks for visiting my blog and also bookmarking it.

Godbless

Keith said...

Thanks for the comment. This is something that we all as Christians should do daily, but in our modern day we seem to be to busy to make the time.

Tamie said...

Hey, it was me... having trouble getting through "Leviticus".

I did pray about it. I haven't gotten back to reading it :-(

I want to be more knowledgeable in the Word not only for myself, but for the Adult Sunday School Class at my church. They often times get stuck while studying prophecy. I think it helps to know about the temple proceedings. Right now we're all trying to figure out which Temple Ezekiel 43 is referring to.

Any insight into that would be great.

We think its a future temple, whether the one that is prophesied in Revelation 11 and Daniel 9: 27 that templeinstitute.org seeks to rebuild, or if it is the temple which will stand during the millinial reign of Christ. Then in Revelation, a later chapter, it also talks about a time coming when there won't be a physical temple. So it is confusing!! AAACK!

Keith said...

tkwi Many scholars believe that the temple in Ezekiel 40:1 - 48:35 describe a new order of worship and parallel Rev 21:1-22:15. Both have water flowing from them. In the end this temple gives way to the city and to the presence of God. If they are right the Temple here is more of a symbol of things to come. The temple that is to rebuilt will be the start of the end times. The temple in Rev 11 seems to be this temple, as well as in Daniel 9. I will further study this and write a blog about it. Thinks for give me a topic to study. God bless